SNCF Group essentials

SNCF has been a part of French life for 80 years—but we’re changing fast. Our strong commitments to rail and to the sustainable mobilities of the future make us a vital player in the transition to a greener world.

Updated on

Fast facts

With 30,000 km of track and 275,000 employees, SNCF is a leading industrial group with a network of partners. The services we provide play a central role in the life of people in France and around the globe, as reflected in our key indicators.

At nearly €35 billion in revenue, we’re the world’s second-largest transport company, and we invest over €10bn a year, with over 94% going to France.

In 2022, the French State finalized another tranche of debt relief, and our results will improve. This will reduce our total borrowing significantly and help bring our debt ratios into line with our commitments.

Our results since 2017

In € billions 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021
Revenue 33.5 33.3 35.1 30.0 34.8
Gross profit/EBITDA1 4.71 4.01 5.7 1.9 4.3
Gross investment 8.8 8.8 9.9 8.9 10.3
Net investment 5.1 5.0 5.2 3.7 3.4
Free cash flow -1.9 -2.6 -2.4 -2.8 -0.7
Net debt 54.3 56.6 60.3 38.1 36.5
Net debt/EBITDA2 11.4 14.1 10.8 19.7 8.6
FFO/Net debt2 5.2% 3.6% 5.6% 3.2% 9.2%

 

SNCF Group around the world

SNCF Group has a robust global presence, with more than one-third of revenue coming from outside France. This is especially true for our activities in mass transit (Keolis) and logistics (Geodis and Rail Logistics Europe), but our high-speed rail operations (such as Eurostar and Thalys) serve international markets as well. Growing our business around the world continues to be a priority for us, especially in logistics.

Our activities around the world

Our activities around the world

SNCF Group around the world: continent by continent

This map gives figures on SNCF’s international presence in key business areas in 2021, with revenue generated by 4 business lines: long-distance passenger transport, mass transit, freight transport and logistics, and engineering consulting.

Americas:

  • In North America, SNCF Group operations generated revenue of €3,185 million with a workforce of 20,931. In this region freight logistics account for 70% of Group business, mass transit 28%, long-distance passenger transport 1%, and engineering consulting 0.6%.
  • In Central America, SNCF Group generated €239 million in revenue, with a workforce of 1,607. Transport logistics is its primary business, with 99.7%, while engineering consulting accounts for only 0.3%.
  • In South America, SNCF Group generated €248 million in revenue with a workforce of 782. Freight logistics accounted for 97% of its business, and engineering consulting 3%.

Africa:

  • In North Africa, the Group generated €34 million in revenue, with a workforce of 271. Its main business areas are freight logistics, with 68%, and engineering consulting, with 32%. 
  • In Sub-Saharan Africa, the Group generated €43 million in revenue, with a workforce of 146. Freight logistics accounted for 92% of its business, and engineering consulting 8%.

Asia:

  • In Central Asia, the Group’s business consists largely of freight logistics, which accounts for 98%, and engineering consulting, which accounts for the remaining 2%. A workforce of 1,633 people generated total revenue of €676 million.
  • In South Asia, freight transport remains the leading area of business, accounting for 82%. Engineering consulting generated 15%, and mass transit 3%. In this region, the Group had revenue of €150 million and a workforce of 1,652.
  • In Southeast Asia, the Group had revenue of €207 million and a workforce of 1,148.
  • In the Middle East, the Group had revenue of €97 million and a workforce of 1,867. Engineering consulting accounted for 60% of its business, with the remaining 40% generated by freight logistics.

Australia and Oceania:

The Group had €1,159 million in revenue and a workforce of 5,753 people. Mass transit accounted for the largest share of its business at 63%, while freight logistics generated 36% and engineering consulting 0.9%

Europe:

  • In Western Europe, the Group had €3,099 million in revenue and a workforce of 11,519. Freight accounted for 69% of its business, with mass transit generating 23% and long-distance passenger transport 8%.
  • In Northern Europe, the Group had €1,433 million in revenue and a workforce of 8,911. Mass transit accounted for most of its business, with 59% of revenue. Another 40% was linked to freight logistics, and 0.8% to engineering consulting.
  • In Central and Eastern Europe, including Russia, the Group had revenue of €531 million and a workforce of 2,285.

In the United Kingdom, the Group had €1,741 million in revenue and a workforce of 3,675. Mass transit was the leading business area at 76%, while freight logistics accounted for 11% and long-distance passenger transport 12%.

Our international presence by business area (2021)

Since 2020, SNCF Group has been structured as a parent company with 5 main subsidiaries covering key business areas:

Our new corporate structure

France’s rail reform package converted four SNCF EPICs (state-owned industrial and commercial enterprises) into public limited companies (sociétés anonymes, or SAs), all wholly owned by the French State. It also strengthened the support and oversight role of our parent company, SNCF SA, and grouped all domestic and cross-border passenger activities into SNCF Voyageurs SA.

Our new corporate structure

This infographic contains an organizational chart with four levels.

Content is as follows, from top to bottom:

  • Level 1 contains a single box labelled “French State” with a profile of Marianne (symbol of the French Republic) superimposed on a French flag, the French national motto “Liberty, Equality, Fraternity” and the words “French Republic”.
  • Level 2 contains a single box:
    • a green bar across the top contains two lines of text reading “100%” and “non-transferable shares”
    • in the centre, on a white ground, are the SNCF logo and two lines of text reading “SNCF SA” and “Holding Company”
  • Level 3 contains a row of 5 boxes as follows, reading from left to right:
    • In box 1,
      • a green bar across the top contains two lines of text reading “100%” and “non-transferable”
      • in the centre, on a white ground, are the SNCF logo and the words “RÉSEAU SA / Rail network management”
    • In box 2,
      • a green bar across the top contains two lines of text reading “100%” and “non-transferable”
      • in the centre, on a white ground, are the SNCF logo and the words “VOYAGEURS SA / Passenger transport”
    • In box 3,
      • a green bar across the top reads “70%”
      • in the centre, on a white ground, are the Keolis logo and the words “World leader in mass transit”
      • and below that, a yellow bar reading “SUBSIDIARY”
    • In box 4,
      • a green bar across the top reads “100%”
      • in the centre, on a white ground, are the Geodis logo and the words “Multimodal freight forwarding”
      • and below that, a yellow bar reading “SUBSIDIARY”
    • In box 5,
      • a green bar across the top reads “100%”
      • in the centre, on a white ground, are the SNCF logo and the words “RAIL FREIGHT / SNCF Fret & other rail freight businesses”
  • Level 4 contains a row of 3 boxes as follows, reading from left to right:
    • Box 1 is linked to the “RÉSEAU SA / Rail network management” box above it. Inside Box 1,
      • a green bar across the top reads “100%”
      • in the centre, on a white ground, are the SNCF logo and the words “GARES & CONNEXIONS SA / Station management”
    • Box 2 is linked to the “VOYAGEURS SA / Passenger transport” box above it. Inside Box 2,
      • a green bar across the top reads “62%”
      • in the centre, on a white ground, is the Thalys logo
      • and below that, a yellow bar reading “SUBSIDIARY”
    • Box 3 is linked to the “VOYAGEURS SA / Passenger transport” box above it. Inside Box 3,
      • a green bar across the top reads “55%”
      • in the centre, on a white ground, is the Eurostar logo
      • and below that, a yellow bar reading “SUBSIDIARY”

A line of text at the bottom of the infographic reads, “Other SNCF Group subsidiaries are not included in this organizational chart.”

SNCF milestones

  1. 1937

    1937

    SNCF (Société nationale des chemins de fer français) is created under an agreement between the French State and existing private rail companies.

  2. 1955

    1955

    SNCF sets the world speed record for rail at 331 km/h, with locomotives CC 7107 and BB 9004.

  3. 1972

    1972

    We kick off our high-speed rail programme with delivery of the first prototype, TGV 001.

  4. 1981

    1981

    Commercial high-speed service between Paris and Lyon is launched, and the network of high-speed lines begins to expand, reaching 2,700 km today.

  5. 1997

    1997

    Réseau Ferré de France (RFF) is founded. A state-owned industrial and commercial enterprise (EPIC), RFF independently manages the nation’s rail network and infrastructure.

1 Gross profit excludes the impact of IFRS 16 for 2018 and 2019. EBITDA includes the impact of IFRS 16 for 2019, 2020 and 2021.

2 SNCF ratios