Working for change since 2015—and still growing
Railsponsible was launched in March 2015, when six leading rail companies rallied around a common goal: making the industry’s supply chain and procurement practices more responsible.
The organization’s founding members are:
- Alstom, a French transport specialist
- Bombardier, a Canadian transport specialist
- Deutsche Bahn (DB), Germany’s state-owned rail company
- Knorr-Bremse, a German manufacturer and global leader in brake systems for rail vehicles
- Nederlandse Spoorwegen, the leading rail company in the Netherlands
In 2017, three new members joined the organization:
- Swiss Federal Railways (SBB)
- SKF, a multinational provider of services and solutions to the rail industry, founded in Sweden
- RFI, manager of Italy’s national rail network
More recently, Railsponsible has welcomed four additional members: CAF, a leading rail equipment specialist based in Spain; Belgian national rail company SNCB; Austrian Federal Railways (OBB); and Wabtec, a US-based manufacturer of trains and locomotives. Membership now stands at 13 companies in all.
Sharing evaluations and best practices
In addition to sharing EcoVadis* evaluations of several hundred suppliers, Railsponsible’s member companies benefit from the opportunity to share best practices and work together on priority issues such as:
- raising manager awareness
- making CSR an integral part of procurement practices
- factoring climate concerns into the entire procurement chain
Stefan Bürkle, SNCF Group’s Chief Procurement Officer, will be the organization’s spokesperson for one year. As the voice of Railsponsible, he will have the opportunity to strengthen the organization’s commitment to its goals. These include supporting suppliers as they work to become more sustainable, and recognizing companies that are willing and able to improve.
*EcoVadis helps companies improve their CSR practices by evaluating their suppliers.
I am enthusiastic and confident that everyone can pursue the mission we’ve set for ourselves: working together to improve our industry’s CSR performance.Stefan Bürkle, Chief Procurement Officer, SNCF Group
Railsponsible honours SNCF suppliers at InnoTrans
At the 2018 InnoTrans trade show in Berlin, the European Rail Supply Industry Association (Unife) hosted a ceremony recognizing SNCF suppliers Eiffage and Capgemini for their CSR performance.