To create this innovative offer, our subsidiary Fret SNCF partnered with Traxens, a Marseille-based company with specialized expertise in smart containers and a proven track record in maritime shipping.
In return, Fret SNCF contributed its extensive insight into the European rail freight market, including customer needs and expectations.
Traxens: Grown-up start-up
Our partner Traxens is moving the logistics industry into the future by providing logistics companies with holistic solutions for tracking and coordinating multimodal transport.
Video : Train Fret Digital
With our Digital Freight Train offer, high-value-added services are standard. These include:
- using geolocation to track your shipments in real time, in Europe and Asia
- setting up geofencing to receive alerts when your shipments reach strategic, predefined locations in Europe, such as entrances and exits to loading/unloading sites
- monitoring mileage—a service that’s particularly in demand from wagon leasing companies, who use it to schedule maintenance
- recording movements (stops and parking)
- detecting unusual shocks
Thanks to its smart technology, our Digital Freight Train can also offer a number of customized services. These options include:
- using a “remote control” to monitor opening of side- and axial-discharge hopper wagons and control all automated services remotely.
- monitoring your wagons—loaded or empty—and cargo weight
- controlling temperature and frost
- tracking your train
- detecting “hot boxes” to prevent train wheelsets from overheating
- analysing data to anticipate deterioration of wheelsets and other key components
- optimizing preventive and predictive maintenance
Fully personalized offer
Tell us what you need, and we’ll install the sensors. Options include:
- monitoring transport conditions for certain sensitive cargo, such as pressure and humidity inside tank wagons
- identifying and reporting any shocks to wagons
“With our Digital Freight Train offer, rail freight can do everything road transport does. It’s a revolution that benefits everyone: customers, wagon owners, rail transport providers—and even SNCF employees, because it eliminates the most strenuous tasks.”
Guillaume Pepy, Chairman and CEO, SNCF Mobilités
Open, flexible system
The Digital Freight Train is an open, flexible system with many benefits:
- its core GPS technology is unaffected by distances and national borders
- our system is guaranteed to be compatible with hazardous material transport, except in areas covered by the EU’s ATEX directive on potentially explosive atmospheres
- our system is guaranteed to be compatible with any type of wagon or sensor
- the Traxens Hub platform is interoperable with IT systems used by rail operators
- installation is fast and easy
is all it takes to inspect your shipments
Want to know more? Contact your SNCF adviser or Bertrand Minary, Chief Innovation & Digital Officer at Fret SNCF.